Sunday, May 23, 2010

Great Expectations


Sweden really is a very lovely and intriging place. As Mark has already hinted at we went to an Ikea in Sweden, which was intended to be a bit of treat for me (very sad I know but I am a big fan). Well I don't know what I was expecting but it was a huge disappointment. It was just like the one in Wembley!!!! I somehow expected it to be more Swedish. I guess I thought that the version we got must be a watered down, slightly Anglicised version but alas, we get the real thing. I suppose that should make me really happy and it does but I cannot hide my disappointment that there are no surprises in a Swedish Ikea. Having said that I am quite convinced you cannot buy childrens rocking mooses in England.

My other great mismatch of expectation came in the form of the Viking warship - I mean how interesting can a Viking warship be? Well, it would appear that it was one of the beautiful and biggest man made wooden things I have ever seen. We only went to the museum because we thought we probably should as we were so close but I am so glad we did. Considering what a sad story the ship had to tell and what a failure it was, it was just so lovely. I find it completely unbelievable that people went to such lengths to make such a stunning ship to then send it out to war. I do realise there was a lot of symbolism on the ship that was designed to offend or frighten the opposition but really... the lengths they went to! It sank because they tried to make it too big and too grand!

Mark managed to squeeze in a ride on a roller coaster whilst we were in Stockholm. It was called "Insane". I felt ill just watching him!

2 comments:

  1. Have you bought a rocking moose for us all to play with on your return? I've got this ( totally wrong ) image of a long-haired moose playing guitar!!! \m/
    As long as you dont buy a swedish 'Dåve', there can be only one...okay, 2.
    Weren't tempted with the rollercoaster, Fran?

    Right, footies about to start. Come on England!!

    Miss you,
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that Charles says thank you for his birthday text.

    I would say he says thank you for his pressies, too, but I haven't actually got round to asking him what they were!

    And I would also like to say that Lara has been appreciating the van pics, but I haven't got round to showing them to her yet. (I've been enjoying them, though, and all the other great shots).

    So we have been thinking of you, just not very organised about things!

    Still drinking my lovely teas...

    ReplyDelete