Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bluebird day (Saturday)

Up again at 630am with the sky all cloudy and grey. But we persevere and drive up the mountain before 8am. Half way up we break through the cloud into what is a perfect blue day. Proper busy today, since it's Saturday and most of Scotland seems to be here, but we still got in the top car park so no complaints.

A couple of T-bar and Poma lifts later and we're enjoying some fantastic snow. It really makes a difference when you can a) see where you're going and b) see the rest of the mountain and some scenery. Plus the powder and off piste excursions to make fresh tracks. Some of this snow is the best I've seen for a few years, I think Chamonix in 2005 tops it but it's pretty good. You might even be forgiven for thinking we were in a real ski resort ;-) I need to caveat with a small apology to Pete re the board which has engaged with some small rocky items, but it's not as bad as Dave's brand new board and I'll fix it up anyway.

I hate any form of drag lift and this resort is covered in them and my front foot is really objecting. So at any opportunity I head for the funicular, which they squeeze us in like sardines but at least it's not ripping my thighs.

We caught the last train up and I called it a day (about 415pm). Dave however soldiered on using the t-bars which he seems to have found some affiliation with, and stayed out till well gone 5.

Took a little drive into Aviemore on the way back to the site and bought loads of “healthy” snack food at Tesco! Then campsite and cracked open the Southern Comfort left over from my wedding, which seems about time! Another pasta and sauce meal, followed by the remainder of Shrek2, then another early night in preparation for another early start...

No comments:

Post a Comment