Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First trips

Not wanting to enjoy the first sleeping experience on my own, Fran and I spent one night surreptitiously squirrelled away in the van on the driveway before I took her away properly...

The first running in for the LPG system involved a small round England jaunt taking in Brighton, York and Warrington. I just made it back as the first snows fluttered down 5 miles from home so missed all the chaos that ensued on the countries roads back in mid-December.

The LPG has done me proud, although I'm certainly not yet an expert on the autogas fillers at the petrol stations - there are 2 types on forecourts in the UK and the twisty one is a right pain, the other one with a big lever is much easier and confidence inspiring! LPG and the cold temperatures don't seem to mix too well, although we haven't had any real problems, just a bit of lumpy running before it's up to temperature.

The van is really quite a comfortable place to spend time too, and the left hand drive is no problem at all, except when pulling round parked busses! She cruises happily at about 70 (indicated), which I think is more like 65, and isn't too bothered by the wind. She also (nearly) fits in a car park space so supermarkets and the like are no problem.

I spent 2 nights in the van on this trip in what I would describe as parky conditions (brrrr!), about 0 degrees I think. The night heater isn't bad though and certainly takes the edge off. I doubt Fran would like camping in the cold, but hopefully most of the big trips away will be in more acceptable temperatures :-)

1 comment: