Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Van Search





How wonderful is the internet? How many beautiful, shabby, perfect, cheap rough old dogs of campervans are out there... And where do you start trying to find your travelling home. Ebay of course. Then there's too much so I have to work out what we need and can afford.

Original criteria were Small van, probably pop-top, 30+mpg, 2 berth, London LEZ compliant, ideally will fit in our drive (<7 foot wide).

Then the fun began. Not having a job, and with lots of time to surf and think I initially went down the build it ourselves route starting with Renault Trafic or VW T5. I seriously thought about the japanese imports (Bongo and Hiace), but we took a look at a few and they are too small for the type of trip we want, although I do like the 4WD! We went to a Motorhome show at Great Malvern and discovered a Westfalia Nugget, which is a fantastic conversion based on the Ford Transit, but they only do new ones for £40k and we dont have a money tree. Fran however was in love!

Anyway long story shortish, following a trip to Cornwall coupled with lots of research, the conclusion was it would probably end up being a VW T4 conversion. But you don't seem to get much for your money since they keep their value quite well.
But lots of surfing later and I'm getting a bit itchy feet. I found a couple of long wheel base T4's and contacted the sellers. And I almost went off up to yorkshire somewhere to have a look. But fate and ebay have taken me in another direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment