Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Snow 'n' Socks (Wednesday)

Not so cold last night - woke at 7am to 2°C, which given the previous nights temperatures can mean only one thing - it's snowing,  Which is a good thing, probably, as long as we can get up the hill.  Which we can, and only a few other people seem to have the same idea.

Zero to nill visiblity at the top of the mountain with what we're told is 40mph winds!  You can feel snow in your face when it hits you at that speed...  And it doesn't abate at all, all day, but we persist and have a few good runs.  It's great snow /powder, the only problem is that you can only see about 3 feet.

End of the day and I've given up but Dave is off on his last run so I sort the van out for departure.  All the cars are slip sliding and they've shut the road to up traffic.  The ranger station tells me that it'll be ok because the volume of traffic down the mountain will keep it clear.  My arse.  I help a volvo slide out of his parking space with another 5 people, and then a mercedes.  I decide it's time for the Autosocks, so I fit them.

I met Shane, guess the nationality mate, who is after a lift so when Dave comes back we all get in the van, which is now full of snow and scoot off.  Sceptical as I am, it's nice to be proven wrong - the autosocks are brilliant to be honest, and about half way down I'm confident they can be removed, so we do.  Blimey, it's slippery now but we make the rest of the journey.  And drop Shane at the Youth Hostel, cobber.

Dave and I trek off to the lodge in a blizzard, but we've clearly made it because this has been published.  If you don't hear more in the next couple of days, someone please send the search party to Glenmore Lodge access road, Ta.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're still having fun - even if it all sounds a bit chilly for my liking!

    ReplyDelete